Here are some examples on when it is appropriate to call 911, 311, or the Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County.
Call 911 for the following animal concerns:
- vicious animals, animals chasing people
- animal/vehicle collisions
- animal fighting (Police Officers respond first) or other intentional abuse of animals
Call 311 for the following animal concerns:
- stray dogs
- barking dogs
- trapped animals
- animals in distress
- animal bites and scratches that break skin; excluding bats (for bats, call Monroe County Health Department at 753-5864)
- removal of dead animal carcasses (request Special Services via 311 for routine dead animal removal).
Call the Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County at 223-6500 for all non-emergency concerns related to animal neglect or animal cruelty.
Contact information for Animal Control:
184 Verona St.
Rochester, NY 14608
Rochester City Codes Pertaining to Dogs
Click the links to read the full definition of the codes.
§ 31-4 All dogs to be leashed.
§ 31-5 Howling or barking dogs.
§ 31-6 Female dogs.
§ 31-7 Dangerous dogs.
§ 31-8 Property damage.
§ 31-9 Potentially rabid dogs.
§ 31-10 Unlicensed or untagged dogs.
§ 31-11 Number of dogs.
§ 31-15 Dogs at fireworks displays.
§ 31-15.1 Dogs on the Charlotte Pier.
§ 31-15.2 Dogs in cemeteries.
§ 31-17 Penalties for offenses.
§ 31-19 Nuisances.