Dear Community Members,
The Rochester Police Dept would like to make you aware that there has been an increase in residential burglaries throughout the South East area in the past few weeks. In many cases, the burglar was able to enter the home through an unlocked window. With the warm weather approaching, I would like to remind all citizens to be certain to close and lock your windows, screens and doors whenever you are away from home or asleep.
In addition, please follow these crime Prevention Tips to reduce your chance of becoming a victim:
1. Report to 911 immediately all suspicious activity such as persons loitering, going door to door, or the sound of glass breaking.
2. Report any attempt to break into your house or garage, such as cuts on your window screens near the locks.
3. Keep your doors, windows and garages locked when not at home (even when in the yard or at a neighbors).
4. Install and use deadbolt locks on all exterior doors.
5. Notify a neighbor when you are going to be away.
6. Discontinue newspaper delivery when going on vacation.
7. Keep outside lights on all night and use motion sensor lights all around your home.
8. Trim shrubs to deny burglars a hiding place, especially shrubs around windows.
9. Lock up ladders and trash toters where they cannot be used by a burglar.
10. Don’t leave returnable cans etc. out for the “homeless”.
11. Never open your door for a stranger.
Crime Prevention Officer
Rochester NY Police Department
East Division, SENSC
846 South Clinton Av.
Rochester, NY 14620