Whom to Call When You Have a Dog Issue
Here are some examples on when it is appropriate to call 911, 311, or the Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County.
Call 911 for the following animal concerns:
- vicious animals, animals chasing people
- animal/vehicle collisions
- animal fighting (Police Officers respond first) or other intentional abuse of animals
Call 311 for the following animal concerns:
- stray dogs
- barking dogs
- trapped animals
- animals in distress
- animal bites and scratches that break skin; excluding bats (for bats, call Monroe County Health Department at 753-5864)
- removal of dead animal carcasses (request Special Services via 311 for routine dead animal removal).
Call the Humane Society of Rochester and Monroe County at 223-6500 for all non-emergency concerns related to animal neglect or animal cruelty.
Contact information for Animal Control:
184 Verona St.
Rochester, NY 14608
Rochester City Codes Pertaining to Dogs
Click the links to read the full definition of the codes.
§ 31-4 All dogs to be leashed.
§ 31-5 Howling or barking dogs.
§ 31-6 Female dogs.
§ 31-7 Dangerous dogs.
§ 31-8 Property damage.
§ 31-9 Potentially rabid dogs.
§ 31-10 Unlicensed or untagged dogs.
§ 31-11 Number of dogs.
§ 31-15 Dogs at fireworks displays.
§ 31-15.1 Dogs on the Charlotte Pier.
§ 31-15.2 Dogs in cemeteries.
§ 31-17 Penalties for offenses.
§ 31-19 Nuisances.